31 October 2010

Adrenaline

Matt and I were taking a nap after church today. The boys were outside playing. Elijah's job this afternoon was to trim back the plants that the frost had killed. I gave him some gardening clippers to do the job, but he asked if he could use his bowie knife instead. It was just cooler. Elijah generally carries between 6 and 8 knives on his belt. I said fine, but the gardening clippers would work better.

Matt and I laid down for a nap after lunch with Gideon. None of us were asleep yet when Elijah came in and invited Gideon to come out and help. Gideon was snuggled up next to me and not very interested in doing chores. Elijah tempted him, "I'll let you hold my bowie knife...." Gideon still didn't see a reason to leave his toasty momma spot. "I'll let you hold two bowie knives...." That did it! Gideon popped up and was out the door to help.

About an hour went by. Matt and I were peacefully resting when there was a sudden "Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang" on the door. "Mom! Dad! Gideon!"

Matt and I were up about as fast as old slow people go. I was shouting, "What's wrong? What happened?" There was no answer. Elijah finally yelled from the other room "knifed!" "grab a towel I yelled back!" Matt and I headed for the door with Elijah in front holding a towel. I could hear Gideon screaming from the yard. Elijah was first out the door. There was blood everywhere, on Gideon's body, all over the sidewalk, the porch. Gideon was screaming and screaming just standing in the yard. Elijah wrapped Gideon in the towel. Matt very coolly walked out and assessed the situation.

It took a moment to take in the disaster. Blood was dripping from Giddy's hand; that must be the location of the wound.

Then it came to me. In the corner sat a can of fake blood! But that still didn't explain why Gideon was screaming like he had just been stabbed. I scooped him up in the towel and asked where do you hurt. "Everywhere...." he bawled. "What's wrong?" I asked again still confused. "Its COLD!!! the blood is cold. WAAAHHHHHHHH!"

He is now in a bubble bath with nice toasty water. My heart rate has slowed to 195. I will recover.

Elijah said, "Ha Ha, I got you." :)

3 comments:

Leo and Kim said...

He got me too. Tell him to save that kind of good stuff for April. :)

Sarah Kuhner said...

That is awesome. Matt, after watching the video of the fuzzy slippers I see exactly where your kids get their ideas from. Now only if it didn't almost kill their momma!

Little Snortster said...

As I was reading your post to Robin, Elijah just whispered, "you know, I'm already planning the next one."