31 January 2013

Gardening

My dream come true:

My Gurney seed catalog came in the mail today. I also got 2 Baker Creek Heirloom seed catalogs and set them out in view of the children. They were drawn to those mouth watering melon pictures like flies to a picnic. Before I knew it the eight of them were crowded around those catalogs shouting, "AND CARROTS!" "NO RADISHES!", "Ohh... sugar snap peas, mmmm!"

Big Boss Elijah took charge, drew up a map of the garden, and divided it into sections labelled by family member. Each child gets to select what plants he wants to grow in his plot.

I love that they have learned to love to garden. I also think they may have forgotten that we weed by hand. : ) but that's ok.

Silas just shouted, "AND MORNING GLORIES ON MINE!!" and it goes on...

2 comments:

Sarah Kuhner said...

That is awesome. Can't wait to see your beautiful garden and all those kids pulling weeds by hand. What a great thing you are teaching them.

Little Snortster said...

thanks sarah. we sure miss you!