26 May 2010

more snakes







This one was in the roadway in front of my house when I came back from town. I stopped the car about 30ft away and went to ask my neighbor to do something about it. He didn't answer the door so I drove around town looking for a brave soul to do something with it. I didn't know what kind of snake it was and I certainly didn't want a rattlesnake getting away to live in a nearby bush.

I finally reached one of the boys' friends dads on the phone. I asked him "Do you have a gun?" (who in lagrange doesn't?). He said, "what do you need it for?" I said, "A giant snake." He said, "I'll be right over!" He brought a bunch of other grown men with him. They seemed to hide their excitement. The first jumped out of the car and ran up to it. (Where is the caution?) He walked right up to it. and kicked it. Bummer. Already dead. It must have been run over. And it was a bull snake - a good kind - not even poisonous. They were clearly disappointed and threw it into a bush. only I wanted to keep it to scare Matt. So they climbed around in the bush till they found it and handed it back to me.

As they handed it to me, I thought in my head, "Be brave just take the snake. Its no big deal." I nonchalantly reached over to take it. No big deal. But as soon as my hand wrapped around that thing I could feel the scales and the backboney thing and it was so disgusting and gross, I screamed like a girl and dropped it. I totally humiliated my sons. yes. I did work up my guts and picked it up later. But unless I can help it I will move it with the toe of my boot.

3 comments:

grandma said...

You better be carefully ,,,carry an ax with you with a long handle

Anonymous said...

Don't kill god living animal or you will be sorry.stop and think.

Sarah Kuhner said...

How scary! I might have run over it myself. I do not want snakes around my little ones. I had to laugh when you had the guys go back into the bushes to find the snake to scare Matt with. That is so funny!